In Part 3 we analyze how the writers received the books of the Bible. The writers received revelation by prophecy, dreams, and visions. The prophet or apostle books are the spoken words of God to them by dreams and visions. Here are three examples of Moses, Jeremiah and Matthew, found in the books of Numbers, Jeremiah and Matthew.
2Peter 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory; This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
18. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
19. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20. Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Daniel 1:17 As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
Joel 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions (Act 2:16-18 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel);
17. And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18. And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy;
Matthew reveals how the Spirit spoke to Joseph as concerning the promised birth of Jesus:
Matthew 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
19. Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.
20. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
21. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
22. Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
23. Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Numbers 12:6 And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.
Job 33:14 For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not.
15. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed;
16. Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,
17. That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man.
18. He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.
19. He is chastened also with pain upon his bed, and the multitude of his bones with strong pain:
20. So that his life abhorreth bread, and his soul dainty meat.
21. His flesh is consumed away, that it cannot be seen; and his bones that were not seen stick out.
22. Yea, his soul draweth near unto the grave, and his life to the destroyers.
23. If there be a messenger with him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to shew unto man his uprightness:
24. Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom.
25. His flesh shall be fresher than a child’s: he shall return to the days of his youth:
26. He shall pray unto God, and he will be favourable unto him: and he shall see his face with joy: for he will render unto man his righteousness.
27. He looketh upon men, and if any say, I have sinned, and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not;
28. He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.
29. Lo, all these things worketh God oftentimes with man,
30. To bring back his soul from the pit, to be enlightened with the light of the living.
So, we have discovered the Lord spoke his word and will, by dreams or visions (or angels seen in dream or vision) to the men and women of the Bible. But, let’s not stop here; let’s go into the Spirits language and purposes of why the Lord speaks this way as Part 4 will demonstrate.