You know that you were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as you were led. ~ I Corthinians 12:2 ~
Is it possible that we can be “carried away” from Christ by believing in the scriptures and prophesy thru our own understanding? Or by one’s own perception?
Could we be lifting up our bibles by our own imagination, thinking and believing we’re lifting up the Word of God when in essence, we’re really being carried away by our perception of the bible?
As an illustration to assist in what is being asked;
In a dream, I walked into a man’s office. It was a place of his business office but also appeared to be a place where he could study. No one was in this office, so my eyes quickly scanned the room when noticing he had attached a book holder to his desk.
It was a holder made of metal and was mounted on the edge of his office desk. The book holder was mounted on his right side of where he would be seated behind his desk. This book holder, however, had a long extended single bar that was almost 3′ feet in height, and on the top of it was a V-shaped metal book holder. I noticed his bible was laid open on top of this book holder.
Based on this dream illustration, this man was lifting up his bible and had a special place on his desk (representing his heart) for thought, research, and mediation. But, the dream revealed that because his bible was being lifted up by his own, man-made device, even though he was learning about the scriptures, he was not able to be brought into the Truth (which is in Jesus, Gods’ Wisdom). Hense we have apostle Pauls reference in the book of Timothy:
Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. ~ 2Timothy 3:7 ~
You see it must be the Spirit of Truth that will lift up the Word of God, the scriptures of the prophets. It takes God’s imagination, not man’s, to lead us into all truth. We’re not able to ascend without God doing it for us. Even though we may labor in the scriptures, if we don’t let God bring the understanding, bring the interpretations, then man’s imagination and perception will keep us from knowing the things of the Spirit.
Here are some scriptures references in what will carry us away from the real knowledge of the truth:
Acts 7:43 | Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch, and the star of your god Remphan, figures which ye made to worship them: and I will carry you away beyond Babylon.
Jeremiah 43:3 | But Baruch the son of Neriah setteth thee on against us, for to deliver us into the hand of the Chaldeans, that they might put us to death, and carry us away captives into Babylon.
Revelation 12:15 | And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.
As we let go of our own perception of the scriptures (how the Spirit moves and works in conscience), then can the Holy Spirit began to lead us into all truth. If however, we continue to use our own perceptions and provide the meaning and interpretation of the scriptures, we’ll continue to be carried away from the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Carried Away = Understanding Darkened
Why does this happen? It’s man’s perception that alienates us from the Life of God and blinds the eyes of our heart (the eyes of understanding).
Ephesians chapter 4
17. This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
18. Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart…
Here’s something interesting, however… Jesus, after His resurrection (now in a glorified state and as a glorified man), does this found in St. Luke:
Luke chapter 24: verses 25-27, 44,45
25. Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
26. Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
27. And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
44. And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures…