Have you ever thought on the importance of the word ‘As’? No worries, most of us haven’t. However, if we look closely at the scriptures we find the application of ‘As’, quite frequently.
As I Live…
We’ve heard that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that is Jesus is Lord. Are we sure? Are we certain?
Rather the scripture says, “As I live, every knee will bow to me, and every tongue confess will confess to God”.
For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. ~ ~ Romans 14:11 ~
The Golden Rule, wouldn’t be understood in its application without…yes, you said it; the “As”. We say, “Do unto others, As, you’d like them to do unto you”. Here is a reference:
And…As ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
~ Luke 6:31 ~
As, means “Likened Unto” and “Is Like”,
Found here in Matthew chapter 13, we’ll look at three different parables that Jesus taught by using As (is like);
24. Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
25. But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
26. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27. So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28. He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
29. But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
30. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest, I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
Another comparison of what the kingdom of heaven is like, continuing down Matthew chapter 13: verses 31, 32:
31. Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:
32. Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.
Kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven verse 33 of chapter 13 in Matthew:
33. Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
The closing of Matthew chapter 13:
34. All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
35. That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.
36. Then Jesus sent the multitude away and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.
37. He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
38. The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom, but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
39. The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world, and the reapers are the angels.
40. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
41. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42. And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
43. Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Therefore we can readily see that the parable provides us the As, or its likened unto. Then wouldn’t that also mean that the As is then the parable manifested or revealed?
So three parables we covered here, that is showing us an As; what the kingdom of heaven is like:
- Good Seed, which a man sowed good seed in his field…
- Grain of mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field…
- Leaven (bread), which a woman took and added 3 measures of meal to it…
Say Son of man,
I Am your sign